The College of the North Atlantic - Qatar is inviting applications for the position of the Dean of the School of Engineering and Industrial Trades. Reporting to the Vice President, Academic, the Dean must be a proven leader with the skills and expertise necessary to fully implement the College’s mission and vision.
College of the North Atlantic - Qatar Profile:
The beautiful and culturally progressive State of Qatar is home to the world class post-secondary institution, College of the North Atlantic-Qatar (CNA-Q). Internationally recognized as a comprehensive technical college, CNA-Q is committed to high quality, student-centered education. This commitment is reflected through state-of-the-art facilities, accessible and responsive technology programs and strong partnerships with industry.
With more than 600 staff and 2,500 students, CNA-Q is one of Qatar’s largest post-secondary institutions offering over 30 diploma programs through student-centred learning. By providing training in a range of technical areas including Engineering Technology, Health Sciences, Industrial Trades, Business Studies and Information Technology, CNA-Q brings the State closer to the goals of Qatar National Vision 2030.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Vice President Academic, the Dean of the School of Engineering Technology and Industrial Trades is responsible for providing academic leadership for excellence in Engineering and Industrial Trades programming in fulfillment of the College’s mission, mandate, and strategic plan, as well as the Qatar National Vision 2030 and the Education and Training Sector Strategy 2017-2022. He/she is also responsible for growing the School of Engineering Technology and Industrial Trades’ programs and enrolment in response to, and anticipation of, the State of Qatar’s human resource needs.
This position requires an energetic and enthusiastic individual who will lead the development of a strategy and plan that ensures the success of the School of Engineering Technology and Industrial Trades, and manage the school’s performance in line with the plan and set objectives. The incumbent is also required to take full responsibility for overseeing the academic, administrative, and financial matters within the school. This includes providing leadership and direction to staff and faculty to meet the expectations of program delivery; fostering educational promotional activities and partnerships in the State of Qatar and emphasize the importance of TVET education; maintaining relevant external industry relationships important to program design and content, as well as faculty and students.
Candidates should have an outstanding record of teaching, industry, and administrative experience, and possess the qualifications necessary for senior-level leadership appointment in the School of Engineering Technology and Industrial Trades. The Dean reports to the Vice President, Academic and is a member of Dean’s Council and Academic Council. Deans are expected to provide leadership in the following areas:
Leadership and Strategic Planning:
The Dean is expected to:
- Lead the School, develop and implement a strategic plan designed to maintain and further develop the School’s excellence in teaching and learning, applied research, and enterprise in line with college wide strategy.
- Develop and implement an annual Academic School Plan including the following components: new academic initiatives, stakeholder engagement strategies, recruitment and retention of students, and faculty professional development;
- Lead policy development initiatives for the School under the direction of the VP, Academic.
- Provide instructional leadership and identify opportunities for professional development in line with the teaching and learning guidelines.
- Work collaboratively with the Program Development and Academic Quality Office to develop, deliver, and evaluate courses and programs within the School while providing strategic leadership to all School quality assurance activities;
- Establish effective partnerships with external stakeholders in industry, business and government to ensure all aspects of program design and delivery meet learner and labour market needs;
- Promote a culture of applied research in accordance with the College’s mission, the State of Qatar’s research agenda, and based on local labour market, environmental, commercial, technical, and industrial challenges;
- Establish and uphold Program Advisory Committees to maximize opportunities for industry collaboration in the areas of program/curriculum design, work-term and on the job training, applied research, student sponsorship, and program marketing;
- Ensure international program accreditations are established and maintained;
- Promote Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET), particularly in Engineering Technology and Industrial Trades, and fostering TVET promotional activities and partnerships in the State of Qatar;
- Serve to uphold all academic quality benchmarks set by CNAQ and Qatar’s Ministry of Education and Higher Education.
Academic Programs, Students, and Faculty:
The Dean is responsible to:
- Lead the development, delivery and evaluation of programs in the School while providing strategic leadership to all quality assurance and accreditation activities;
- Engage faculty, staff and students in discussions of all important collegiate issues and assure a positive, high-quality working environment;
- Ensure effective management of faculty including classroom observation, coaching and discipline to ensure consistent high quality instructional delivery;
- Appoint committees at the school level to assist him/her in specific matters related to the functions or operations of the school;
- Determine the delegation of authority to Associate Deans as deemed necessary and appropriate with clarity on operating relationships;
- Prepare an annual academic report on performance of the School’s academic programs in conjunction with the Institutional Effectiveness department and submit to the VP Academic;
- Review and recommend contract renewals, faculty evaluations, annual increments, and bonuses in coordination with Faculty Affairs;
- Oversee professional development support and perform periodic performance reviews for direct subordinates based on CNA-Q’s Employee Performance Management framework and take strict measures on cases of poor performance;
- Foster an environment and culture that delivers excellence in all school and college activities and support shaping student experiential experiences and reputation for school programs;
- Lead the development of workforce plans for the School in collaboration with the VP, Academic and Academic Manager, Faculty Affairs;
- Lead the development of employees through identifying appropriate learning and development opportunities in collaboration with VP, Academic and Faculty Affairs;
- Ensure the recruitment of talent within the School of in collaboration with VP, Academic and Faculty Affairs and ensure that all minimum faculty qualifications, skills and experience are achieved;
- Employ appropriate disciplinary actions and conflict resolution for students and faculty – in line with the disciplinary action policy and process escalations;
- Act as a mentor for students by participating in student events, promoting non-traditional learning opportunities and challenging students to successfully meet their learning objectives;
- Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive inquiries by students, faculty, staff, and employers with respect and in accordance with a professional code of ethics;
- Establish an environment of open communication, collegiality and continuous quality improvement;
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity;
- Teach courses, as assigned, within the School of Engineering Technology and Industrial Trades.
Budgetary and Strategic Planning Oversight:
The Dean is responsible to:
- Attend leadership and management meetings as required and participate in initiatives to support CNA-Q’s strategic goals.
- Participate in CNA-Q wide collaborative strategic activities with cross functional departments and other Schools to achieve the goals of the annual plan.
- Lead the development and monitor implementation of procedures, processes, guidelines governing the School.
- Lead the establishment of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for the School and monitor the school’s performance vis-à-vis established KPIs on a regular basis.
- Lead the development of annual budget for the School and monitor it on a regular basis.
Research, Innovation and College Outlook:
The Dean is expected to:
- Establish positive partnerships with external stakeholders, industry, business and government to ensure alignment of needs with the School’s programs;
- Promote Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET), particularly in Engineering Technology and Industrial Trades, and fostering TVET promotional activities and partnerships in the State of Qatar.
|Job Location:||Doha, Qatar|
|Company Industry:||Education, Training, and Library|
more Latest Qatar Jobs